Sunday, May 28, 2006

FILMS

Following suggestions from some of the bloggers (thanks!), I would like to introduce another task:
The best film ever! Or top 10, as Karmen has done. Just think about all the many films you have seen and make a selection. Try to justify at least one of the choices, so that we know what is important for you in a movie. What makes it unique, worth coming back to, meaningful? You can place links to sites about those films, to make things easier for those who are not familiar with them. Perhaps you will make people so interested that they would like to see some of them?
I myself am not able to make any sort of ranking list. But after some thinking I can share a few titles with you. I do realize, though, that they are far away from your choices:
  • Kieslowski's Red, Blue and The Double Life of Veronique - in this sequence
    There is something in these films that I cannot resist - I guess it is what we call the metaphysical. I like coming back to them. White does not work like this for me.
  • Wajda's Korczak - Janusz Korczak is my guru
  • Woody Allen's Zelig - playing with the very idea of moviemaking
  • S. Kubrick's Eyes Wide Shut - a bit weird, but irresistible - cast!
  • R. Polanski's Rosemary's Baby - I have seen it once, will never see it again, but will never forget it, too. Filmed at Dakota Apartments in NY. A doomed place.
  • N. Jewison's Fiddler on the Roof - every scene is a jewel
  • M. Scorsese's The Age of Innocence - purely beautiful though very sad
  • J. Campion's The Portrait of a Lady - I loved the book and the film did not disappoint me, which is rare (music by W. Kilar)
  • R. Attenborough's Shadowlands - about C.S. Lewis
    J. Ivory's Howards End (both starring Anthony Hopkins, the acting genious)
    No, I haven't seen The Silence of the Lambs, and never will. I'm scared when I know it's on television, even if my TV set is off ;)

I don't include romantic comedies because they come and go, seldom making any stronger impression (though films like Notting Hill or Four Weddings and a Funeral are perhaps worth mentioning). A separate category for me is Jane Austen adaptations, which I can watch without end, the new Pride and Prejudice being at the top of the list ;)

4 comments:

Ristopher;) said...

Oh come on... throw in some titles, please:)

AgataL said...

At your wish, ristopher;). And a few others'. I hope you have at least heard about some of them ;)

Olorin said...

Not only have I heard of most of these movies, but some of them are actually my favorites. ;) Once I get around to posting my list, you'll know which ones I mean. :)

Missing in action said...

Well I watched "The Silence of the Lambs" and I wasn't scared but rather intrigued but I watch horrors since I was 6 so I'm tough :). I adore Kieślowski especially "The Double Life of Veronique". After the movie I couldn't stop thinking 'bout it :). I've seen the rest of the movies also. Not all are my favourites but they're surely worth remembering. Cheers.