Saturday, July 7, 2007

POLITICS

Never before have I talked politics here, but now I can't help it. You can imagine why: I'm ashamed. How could we let this happen? So much hope ruined. So many bright people left behind, while Poland is being ruled by ignorants and paranoids. They have been democratically elected, so this time there's no external power to blame. We have what some of us wanted, and others didn't care to prevent (by choosing not to vote). If you want to see how our country is now seen abroad, there is a great source: a post on a BBC blog containing a detailed analysis of Poland's situation in the EU, which initiated a heated international debate, with nearly 300 comments so far. Take a look, it's worth it.

4 comments:

Missing in action said...

yeah, i'm also ashamed for our government :(

Piotr said...

Some time ago, I read an interesting editorial in Gazeta Wyborcza about Poland being the EU player that everyone tries to avoid. So this opinion seems to be a fact now. As I wrote elaborately, the coalition screws it all the way. But maybe what is heartening is that Mardell's words about putting the past behind reflect the opinions of some of the people I talked to. That means there are people who do care about Poland's international image.

AgataL said...

Thanks for your interest and sharing your thoughts. I'm not saying that there are no such people, but I'm worried that they are a minority, and the outcome is this whole mess. But I hope it's a matter of time. Poland, a relatively young democracy, needs to get through this, as children go through some childhood diseases. There must be an end to this. :)

Piotr said...

Amen:)